This book is a great foundation step to the path of discovering the Holy Spirit. This book taught me where to find scripture in the bible about the Holy Spirit. In addition, the author, Francis Chan, taught me how to be more aware of who the spirit is and where He dwells.
My name is Janet Ornelas and I am the writer behind this blog The Mom Dare and I treat every book I read like a work book. I have provided my analysis on what I learned on this book and also how I applied those concepts to my life.
I took about 22 pages of notes and before you freak out I will just write about the highlights, insights, and what resonated with me the most. This book is about 185 pages long. It’s a short book and I love it and recommend it because it gets straight to the point.
The top 4 highlights of this book for me are (and there were more but this list will probably my top 10 perhaps 15):
- We hold back a lot from God. My own words and thoughts to this highlight is, it’s true! I think the reason why is because for one our imagination, our being, is finite and we sometimes think that God is finite and cannot do more than we can. And that is a wrong perception of God. If we thought of how mighty, powerful, and infinite God is on a regular basis on a by hour basis we will give everything to God. Another reason why I think we hold back is because our relationship with God is weak. When we start strengthening out relationship with him. We will know who God is. We will learn about how good he is, how he provides, creates, gives, how generous he is and beyond.
- “Christians talk about being born again and say that they were dead but now have come to life. Yet when those outside the church see no difference in our lives, they begin to question our integrity, our sanity or even worse, our God. And can you blame them?” This question challenged me to review and reflect my life my choices and actions. And I must say I have a lot of work to do. It challenge me to straighten up and sit up straight.
- Before Jesus left this Earth. He said he was going to go prepare a place for us. He said someone else will come, referring to the Holy Spirit. I read that verse before and accepted it but didn’t learn the true meaning of it until Francis explained it. It brings me comfort to know that the spirit dwells in my body and knows my heart. When I do not know the right words to ask for what I need the Holy spirit intercedes on my behalf and lets God knows exactly what I need. That is how God knows every detail in my life and heart because he dwells in me. Amen!
- “The point is not to completely understand God but to worship Him.” I like to research everything so this one kind of hit me like a pile of bricks. There is no way I can learn everything about God. And that’s okay. I should learn how to worship him for all what he is, an infinite God and praise him for that.
The top 5 Phrases that I liked and would love to add to my vocabulary are:
- Be bold in Christ and in His word.
- As disciples of Jesus, being in relationship with him must be our focus.
- Biblical integrity.
- perseverance and obedience.
- Practical truths.
Scripture verses referred to the Holy Spirit in this book are but not limited. This was just based on my notes:
- John 14:17
- John- 14-16
- Zecharius 4:6
- Psalms 139:7-8
- Romans 8:2
- Romans 8:15-17
- Romans 15:13
- 1 John 16:7-11
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5
- 1 Corinthians 2″10(b)
- 1 Corinthians 12:7
- 2 Corinthians 3:18
- 2 Corinthians 4:7-11
- Galatians 5:22-23
- Galatians 4:9
- Galatians 3:13-14
- Galatians 5:1-15
- Galatians 6
- Philippians 2:12-13
My favorite chapter of the book was chapter 6. I learned a lot about the Spirit, I applied a lot of study to the scriptures on the Holy Spirit. And just prayed about it and meditated on it.
This book reminded of the title Tony Robbins used for his book Awaken the Giant Within. The Giant we have within is the spirit of God and without him we can’t do nothing. And it’s us who need to wake up and develop a deep relationship with The spirit. Your intuition inside of you is the Holy Spirit. You can purchase the book on Amazon just click on the book below to get your copy.